Monday, June 22, 2009

Emma goes Bollywood

Popular Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor is all set to play Jane Austen's famed heroine Emma in a Bollywood film produced by her father Anil Kapoor( Yes, the same Anil Kapoor who played the game show host in Slumdog Millionaire)

The only Indian version of Austen's novels I like is Rajiv Menon's beautiful take on Sense and Sensibility- Kandukondain Kandukondain and this is a Tamil film. I've never much liked Bollywood taking up Austen; they have this tact of making it glitzy and add so much masala that they take away the Austen-ness of the story. I'm not a fan of Bride and Prejudice( It had the worst Darcy ever!) and I'm not expecting too much out of this yet to be released version of Emma. But oh well, this is certainly something I'll watch out for.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test