Monday, May 17, 2010

Confessions Of A Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

Rating: 9/10

Review:
Sometimes, it's all about finding the right book for the right mood. Confessions Of A Shopaholic, for instance, was a lifesaver. I had a horrid day and was in need of something to cheer me up. TV didn't help, so I picked up this book and read it in a matter of three hours. I laughed out loud, had fun and absolutely loved the book. If there is ever a need to find a book with an equation for perfect chick-lit, Confessions Of A Shopaholic is the best bet.

The plot is simple and sometimes, the details are repetitive: Financial journalist Becky Bloomwood who hates her job, has a major weakness - shopping. And it's gotten her into big trouble with her bank manager. How Becky manages to get herself out of the messy situations she finds in, a la Bridget Jones, makes for a relentlessly hilarious read. 

I'm not really obsessed with shopping and there were a lot of times when Becky did things I never would have. Things that made me want to run inside the book, stop her and say 'What are you doing??' But Kinsella walks a fine line between creating an irritating character and an endearing one and successfully makes Becky seem like that friend you had, who made a couple of stupid mistakes and made you reprimand them. Not because they're irritating, but because you really like them and don't want them to get into problem after problem.

Kinsella is fast becoming my favourite chick-lit author, on par with Meg Cabot. Her heroine in this book is hilariously written and she gets into a lot of scrapes which she tries to get out of with loads of hilarity. The writing is crisp, laden with popular culture references and is a perfect summer read to treat yourself to! Though it may make you want to run off to the mall to do some shopping. And will probably help you keep in mind the downside of spending a lot, without seeming preachy about it.

Talking about this book without mentioning its charming hero Luke Brandon, would almost be a sin. He was great to read about and perfect to gush about! I haven't seen the movie yet, but just the fact that Hugh Dancy is playing Luke Brandon makes me want to watch it right away.

In all, Confessions Of A Shopaholic was worth reading and lives up to all the hype surrounding it. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Becky's crazy adventures too. If you're in the mood for a predictable yet funny chick-lit book, this is definitely going to be a treat. Enjoy!

11 comments:

Booksnyc said...

You're right - the success of these books is that Kinsella successfully walks that line with Becky where she is completely outrageous but also loveable so although you may not relate to her you still want to read more about her.

I have read the entire series - it is great!

Tanu said...

I have read the first two in the series. I am looking forward to reading the rest soon (after the CPA exams). I would recommend reading the next book "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" before watching the movie.

Great Review! I am glad you enjoyed the first one.

The Book Mole said...

Thanks for this review! I must admit I am not a fan of chicklit at all, but my friends have all raved about this one. And from your review, it does sound Bridget Jones-like. I am going to buy a copy and save it for a day like yours! Hope it got better!

Whitney said...

I've never been much into chick-lit, but I saw the movie of this and thought it was very cute. I hope this cheered up your horrid day :)

Priya Parmar said...

i am glad your day improved! i also loved this book. you definitely wanted her to learn her lesson and stop buying but she is adorable in the way she finally faces it! the movie is cute too!

Kim said...

I haven't read her books, but the movie was certainly entertaining until it got sad toward the end. I usually like to read chic-lit in the summer.

Shweta said...

Oh she is such an awesome author. I was sucked up in the wave of Shopaholic books. They are such fun reads that you will love them no matter what genre u prefer :)

Kals said...

Booksync - Thanks! I loved how Kinsella managed that fine balance and I hope to enjoy the rest of the series :)

Tanu - Thanks! I read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan a couple of days back and found it equally hilarious. I'll watch the movie today or tomorrow! Can't wait :D

The Book Mole - Thank you so much. My day did get better :) This book will be a light, easy read to take your mind off things if you need to.

Whitney - Thanks..it cheered me up that day :) And yeah, the book is an easy, cute read.

Priya - Thank you! :) I found Becky adorable too, despite all her silliness. She's a great person to read about and is a lovely character!

Kim - Chick-lit is perfect during summer. I like to intersperse it with serious books :)

Shweta - Totally agree! I'm not big on chick-lit and Cabot was the only author I liked till now. Kinsella is absolutely great fun to read :)

Vaishnavi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vaishnavi said...

God I love Becky! Even when I am furious with her, I love her. I love this entire series although sadly, the movie just wasn't as good. If you loved this one you will love the others as well :)This was a lovely review :)
Hope you have a lot of fun reading the other books in the series :)

Kals said...

I agree about the movie. I saw it yesterday and I definitely like the book much better. Still, no regrets for watching it. Hugh Dancy is perfection itself ;)

And you're absolutely right about Becky! She's so cute and I look forward to reading what else she does :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test